The rapid digitalization that occurred for many businesses in 2020 not only led to new system implementations for many, but prompted other organizations to give a more honest consideration of their current systems to see where changes may need to be made. For many, a move to the cloud was imperative to continuing business operations. This includes consideration for cloud-based ERPs.
Many features of cloud ERPs are beneficial to business, which means you might be tempted to replatform to a cloud ERP this year. Here’s what you need to know for a successful replatform to a cloud ERP.
Knowing When It’s Time to Move On
Replatforming means switching your computer software to new systems. It can be daunting, exciting, and challenging all at the same time. Many companies choose to replatform during anticipated downtimes, such as over the holidays or summer months, depending on the industry, to minimize disruption.
But you shouldn’t replatform just for the sake of replatforming; it has to be the right time for your business. Here’s how to determine the best time for replatforming:
- Are legacy systems failing more often than they are working? If you’re continually chasing error messages or apologizing for being unable to complete requests because the system is down again, it may be time to find a new system.
- Does the team lack what they need to do their jobs? When older systems do not provide the information or capabilities required, teams may resort to using manual processes to accomplish what other companies do using cloud-based ERP.
- Is integration costing more than the solution? Adding new software to an existing system shouldn’t break the bank. If integration costs more than the software itself, it’s time for a new base system.
- No longer supported. As new software emerges and older versions phase out, your current system may no longer include updates or patches. If it’s so old the software developer isn’t providing support for it anymore, it’s definitely time to consider moving on.
- Everyone’s working around the system, not with it: If your system is not providing what the teams need to do their jobs, they’ll begin creating workarounds. These workarounds not only introduce opportunity for error, but also cost your business a lot of time.
Five Things to Know About Cloud-Based ERP
Cloud-based ERP can change not just how you work, but also how you manage your business. If you’re considering adding a cloud ERP, here’s what you need to know.
- Cloud ERP is the future of all enterprise resource planning systems. Although some systems offer a seat-based service, most companies are choosing to move to the cloud. It offers a more cost-effective method of implementing an ERP across an organization and solves many of the replatforming challenges listed above.
- Automatic updates are included. Most cloud-based ERPs include automatic updates that happen behind the scenes so you don’t experience downtime or disruptions to the service.
- Big data and analytics are for everyone. If you thought both are for the “big guys” only, think again. Small and mid-sized businesses benefit from the data and analytic powers found in cloud-based ERP. This information can help improve decision making and business planning by providing the right data for decision-making, along with an easy way to manage and use the data in the system.
- ERP is a business initiative, not just software. It’s tempting to turn ERP selection over to the IT department, but they aren’t the ones using the final selection—you, your managers, and your employees are the ones who will live with the decision. It’s a business choice that impacts how everyone does their job, not just a software or technical solution.
- Cloud systems help control technology costs. Cloud systems share hosting and security updates. Rather than paying for your company’s own needs and then paying someone to install them, tap into an extensive network of services with high security and automated updates. Cloud-based ERP may be accessed through any internet connected device, too, so you don’t need to buy all new hardware. Use what you have and save money on hardware upgrades.
Replatforming is Easier With the Right Partner
Choosing your new cloud-based ERP system and replatforming your company can be a daunting task. Having the right software partner can make this process easier. Investing in the right cloud ERP system can help your company achieve new potential.
ASI has been working with small and mid-sized companies for years to find the right software solutions for expanding business operations and succeeding in the competitive market. Talk to one of our experts now to see how we can help you achieve your replatforming initiatives this year.