A year end process in one module often writes data to another module. Therefore, the sequence in which you close your Sage 100 ERP (fka Sage ERP MAS 90) modules is extremely important in order to avoid the risk of damaging your data.
Important: Remember to back up your data before starting any module closing procedures. The only way to “reverse” year end processing in Sage 100 ERP is to restore your data from a backup.
1. Bill of Materials*
2. Work Order Processing*
3. Bar Code
4. Purchase Order Processing
5. Sales Order Processing
6. Inventory Management
7. Material Requirements Planning (MRP)*
9. Electronic Reporting/Magnetic Data*
10. Payroll (Quarter-end processing)
11. Accounts Receivable
12. Accounts Payable
13. Job Cost
14. General Ledger
*Note: While there is no formal closing procedure in the Bill of Materials, Work Order, MRP, and Electronic Reporting modules, all transactions in those modules should be posted before starting closing procedures in the modules that follow them (i.e. Post transactions in Work Order before closing Purchase Order, Sales Order, and Inventory).
Remember, this is just a general guideline. If you own modules that aren’t listed above or you run third party add-on products or Sage Endorsed Solutions, please contact us to discuss specific closing procedures for your company.
4 Tips for a Successful Year End
1. General Ledger Closing – While it’s a good idea to close modules in a timely fashion, your General Ledger can remain open for as long as you need while awaiting final processing in other modules (or audit adjustments). A GL that’s still open for 2013 will NOT prevent you from entering transactions for the new year.
2. Payroll Planning – Even if your company is on a fiscal year, you’ll need to close out payroll at the end of the calendar year. It’s a good idea to begin reconciling all of your payroll tax reports to the general ledger in early December. This gives you a chance to catch errors early and avoid filing an amended payroll tax return. Note: All W-2’s and quarterly reports must be printed before processing the first payroll for 2014.
3. Check Your Version Number – Closing procedures can vary depending on which version of Sage 100 ERP you’re currently running. For Version 4.0 or above, do the following to identify both your version number and service pack:
– Select Help > About Sage 100 ERP
– Click Here to download the entire packet in a zip folder
4. Get All the Answers – We’ve compiled an extensive packet of checklists, closing procedures, and FAQ’s related to your core modules including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll.
5. WE’RE HERE TO HELP – As you begin year end closing procedures and prepare to start fresh in 2014, be sure to contact us if you need assistance during this important time of year. As your software and technology partner, we’re always here to help!