Although social media marketing seems more like the purview of business-to-consumer (B2C) companies, it is used successfully by many business-to-business (B2B) companies, too. That includes manufacturers and distributors. These tips can help any business successfully promote their services through social media marketing but may be particularly apt for manufacturers and other B2B companies.

Tips for B2B Social Media Marketing

Social media includes image-heavy sites such as Instagram and Pinterest, short staccato messages on Twitter, and sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook, and others that allow for a blend of content. Because covering specific tips for each social media website would be quite difficult, we’ve focused instead on general success tips that you can use across any social media platform.

These tips include:

  1. Develop a content calendar and plan: A content marketing calendar is a calendar that lists out main topics for the quarter or the month and then lists each blog post or social media activity linked to that topic. It’s a great way to keep your social media activities lined up as well as in sync with other activities like blogging, article writing, and more.
  2. Optimize your social media sites: Make sure you are using every tool available on the social media platforms of your choice. Update your profile picture, banners, and other visuals. Make sure that “about” information includes keywords related to your industry. Set up a special landing page on your website that welcomes new visitors to your website and link to that special page from the “About” section on social media sites so that you can attract and convert visitors from social media accounts. Fill in every detail on social media profiles—you never know which detail will capture someone’s attention!
  3. Use the 80/20 rule: The 80/20 rule is simple. About 80% of your content posted on social media should be helpful, funny, or supportive of your brand. The remaining 20% can be about your company. Many B2B marketers make the mistake of posting solely about their own products or services. This can turn customers away from your social media properties. If they don’t see value in your posts, they’ll start to ignore them.
  4. Use automatic posting tools: You can schedule your social media posts using specialized software that drips posts to various sites. Most enable you to set specific dates and times for post shares and track metrics such as click through rates and more so you can see which posts generate the best response.
  5. But don’t rely solely on automatic posts: But make sure that you don’t use social media posting tools as a crutch or a substitute for someone actually checking your social media properties daily. Although social posting sites can keep your profile active they can’t respond to comments, questions, or other content posted by your own customers. Someone from your company should visit each of your social media pages daily to make sure customers aren’t waiting for a reply.
  6. Focus on customer needs: It’s not always about you. What do you customers want and need to learn, see, or do? It’s okay to share links from third-party websites if the articles, videos, or other content adds value to your page and helps your customers understand your industry better.
  7. Use images to tell your story: Original images (those you take yourself) are always the best to use on social media. Use pictures to tell your brand story. Share pictures of how products are made, your new distribution plant, or other neat stuff going on at your company. Don’t be afraid to use video, too. Videos that demonstrate how products are used, how to measure for replacement parts and more are all great B2B concepts.

Social media is an important marketing tool for any business. With a thoughtful approach, you can get the most from your social media accounts.

Accounting Systems Incorporated (ASI)

Accounting Systems Incorporated (ASI) provides ERP, accounting, and other software and systems to help your company grow. We focus on helping small to mid-sized companies improve operational efficiencies through the power of software and technology. Software such as Sage 100 and Acumatica ERP can provide the business intelligence you need to grow your company, and modules can be added and integrated that enhance sales and marketing, including social media marketing. For more information, visit our website, or call us at 803-252-6154.