Module Closing: Keeping Things in Order
A year end process in one module often writes data to another module. Therefore, the sequence in which you close your Sage ERP MAS 90 or MAS 200 modules is extremely important in order to avoid the risk of damaging your data.
Important: Remember to back up your data before starting any module closing procedures. The only way to “reverse” year end processing in Sage ERP MAS 90 or MAS 200 is to restore your data from a backup.
- Bill of Materials*
- Work Order Processing*
- Bar Code
- Purchase Order Processing
- Sales Order Processing
- Inventory Management
- Material Requirements Planning (MRP)*
- Electronic Reporting/Magnetic Data*
- Payroll (Quarter-end processing)
- Accounts Receivable
- Accounts Payable
- Job Cost
- General Ledger
*Note: While there is no formal closing procedure in the Bill of Materials, Work Order, MRP, and Electronic Reporting modules, all transactions should be posted before closing the modules that follow (i.e. Distribution Modules and Payroll).
Keep in mind this is just a general guideline. If you own modules that aren’t listed above or have installed any third party add-on products or Sage Extended Solutions, please contact us to discuss specific closing procedures for your company.
4 Tips for a Successful Year End
- General Ledger Closing – While it’s a good idea to close modules in a timely fashion, your General Ledger module can remain open for as long as you need while awaiting final processing in other modules or audit adjustments. A GL that’s still open for 2011 will NOT prevent you from entering transactions for the new year.
- Payroll Planning – Even if your company is on a fiscal year, you’ll need to close out payroll at the end of the calendar year. It’s a good idea to begin reconciling all of your payroll tax reports to the general ledger in early December. This gives you a chance to catch errors early and avoid filing an amended payroll tax return. Note: As a reminder, all W-2’s and quarterly reports must be printed before processing the first payroll for 2012.
- Check Your Version Number – Closing procedures can vary depending on which version of Sage ERP MAS 90 or MAS 200 you’re currently running. For Version 4.0 or above, do the following to identify both your version number and service pack: Select Help > About Sage MAS 90
- Get all the Answers – We’ve compiled an extensive packet of checklists, closing procedures, and FAQ’s related to your core modules including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll.
Email us and we’ll send you the entire packet.
We’re Here to Help!
As you begin year end closing procedures and prepare to start fresh in 2012, be sure to contact us if you need assistance during this important time of year. As your software and technology partner, we’re always here to help!